I bet you – for those of you that recall that Disney movie – there are some of us that always wanted to make that spaghetti with the meatballs and lovely basil spaghetti sauce… sounds good? Guys, it is so simple and actually really lovely :)
Just to make it fair it’s a cheating recipe, because I’m just using my favourite tomato sauce from a jar :p Save time, especially when you extremely hungry after work and all you can think of is – where is my foooooood! :D
Hope you like it! :)
- For meatballs:
- @1kg of lean/steak mince meat (it’s really the beat one for it, don’t leave so much juice, meat is nice and tender, worth that extra money)
- 1x tablespoon of honey
- 1x tablespoon of olive oil
- 2-3x garlic cloves, diced
- Half of the onion, diced (optional)
- Mixture of your choice of herbs and spices - I usually add some of the BBQ spices and herbs mix)
- For sauce:
- 1-2x jars (@800ml) of tomato sauce of your choice. Make sure it’s something that you know and like.
- 1x splash of bourbon/whisky
- A bunch of pasta - whatever you find in your kitchen, it doesn’t have to be the spaghetti one pasta :)
- Some grated cheese
- Fresh basil for decoration
The best way to start:
1) If your sauce is made up from tomato passato or something else and you need to add flavour and thickness to it, start from the sauce. Add it to a bigger pan, splash some olive oil, add diced garlic cloves and leave on a small heat to simmer and it will get rid of the water through steam ;) at the end of it, add spices and herbs.
2) If you have a nice sauce that you are happy with, just leave it on a side ready to use. Take a big pot for your pasta, filled it with water and bring to boil.
Prepare yourself a pan for frying meatballs, add some oil/butter/olive oil and leave on a small heat to start warming up. Unless your pan is very fast to heat up, just leave it prepare and ready for warming up.
Take a bowl, add the minced meat and all the other ingredients, mix together and start folding small bowls.
put them on the preheated pan and start simmering. They do NOT need to be cooked inside. We just want a bit of crunch from around. If you can fit them all on one pan great! If not it’s ok, you will do that twice – splash a bit of alcohol on the pan (make sure there is NO water/juice on the pan), so the meatballs can get an extra flavour.
When your meatballs are pretty much done and have the extra flavour from alcohol, add the sauce and leave them under cover for @10mins to cook inside.
Try the sauce and a meatball ;) try pasta :) if it’s all ready, mix them in the pot or put nicely on the plate, add grated cheese, sprinkle with some basil and enjoy! :)))